Vic Beasley will be back in red and black.
Amid speculation regarding the defensive end’s future in Atlanta, Falcons coach Dan Quinn said “the plan right now” is to keep the 26-year-old.
“I’m very excited about where I think he can go to, and we’ve had good conversations about the impact that he can make,” Quinn told ESPN. “The biggest impact that he can make is doing it really consistently.”
Beasley was selected by the Falcons with the No. 8 overall pick in the 2015 draft and led the NFL with 15.5 sacks in 2016 while also forcing six fumbles. His production has dipped since then, as he has recorded just five sacks in each of the last two seasons.
“I think it’s going to take really good preparation and really consistent play,” Quinn said of Beasley becoming an impact player again. “So how do we get him to that? A lot of things are going to come into that. But if I didn’t think that he could do it, I wouldn’t [commit]. So that’s our belief as an organization, to say, ‘Hey, man, we believe you can get the job done.'”
Beasley has one year remaining on his contract after the Falcons exercised his fifth-year option. He is set to earn $12.81 million in 2019, which becomes fully guaranteed when the new league year begins March 13.