The finalists have been named for the Vezina Trophy and one of these names might surprise you.
Stars goalie Ben Bishop and Lightning goaltender Andrei Vasilevskiy were obvious choice, but the third man came a bit out of nowhere.
Robin Lehner, the goalie for the Islanders, is the third finalist after he had a spectactular season which he also followed up with a wonderful first round of the playoffs in a sweep if the Penguins.
Your 2018-19 Vezina Trophy Finalists!
Who do you think will be bringing home the hardware? pic.twitter.com/ifXEPo0Hyj
— NHL on NBC (@NHLonNBCSports) April 20, 2019
Lehner missed a few starts this year due to injury and was spelled nicely by backup Thomas Greiss in his absence, which makes the selection a bit different.
But when Lehner was on the ice he was great posting a .930 save percentage which was second among starters only to Bishop and a 1.98 goals allowed average which was also only behind Bishop and Blues rookie Jordan Binnington.
It may be a different selection but Lehner earned his spot among the finalists.
The NHL will roll out all of its award finalists every night over the next two weeks culminating with the Hart Trophy nominees on April 28.
Here is the schedule for all of the announcements along with the finalists for the Vezina Trophy.
NHL Awards Finalists announcement dates
- April 17: Selke Trophy (Patrice Bergeron, Ryan O’Reilly, Mark Stone)
- April 18: Lady Byng Trophy (Ryan O’Reilly, Aleksander Barkov, Sean Monahan)
- April 19: Masterson Trophy (Nick Foligno, Robin Lehner, Joe Thornton)
- April 20: Vezina Trophy (Ben Bishop, Andrei Vailevskiy, Robin Lehner)
- April 21: Norris Trophy (Top defenseman)
- April 22: Mark Messier Leadership Award
- April 23: King Clancy Memorial Trophy (Humanitarian Award)
- April 24: Willie O’Ree Community Hero Award
- April 25: Ted Lindsay Award (Most Outstanding Player as voted by the players)
- April 26: Jack Adams Award (Top head coach)
- April 27: Calder Trophy (Top rookie)
- April 28: Hart Trophy (Most Valuable player to his team)