The Redskins appear to be planning to hold onto Trent Williams.
Washington is telling opposing executives it is not planning to trade the 31-year-old offensive lineman despite his holdout, according to a report from ESPN. Teams that have inquired about dealing for Williams have so far “been rebuffed,” the report says.
Washington has told multiple teams this summer it is not trading 7-time Pro Bowl OT Trent Williams, per sources. Williams has held out of camp, but Washington hasn’t flinched. Teams repeatedly have called about Williams, teams have inquired, and so far, teams have been rebuffed.
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) August 13, 2019
Redskins coach Jay Gruden said earlier this month he “seriously” doubts the team will send Williams elsewhere.
The Redskins originally picked Williams out of Oklahoma with the No. 4 pick in the 2010 draft. He has started 119 games and made seven Pro Bowls during his nine-year career, which has all been spent with Washington.
Williams has two seasons remaining on the five-year, $66 million extension he signed with the Redskins in August 2015.
If he’s not moved, Williams’ holdout could last well into the regular season as a source told NBC Sports Washington last week the tackle was “not coming back. Period.”
“I concentrate on the guys who are here right now,” Gruden told reporters at the start of training camp (via ESPN). “We know how we feel about Trent, how important he is to this team. We expect him here shortly. Right now, there are some things he has to work out individually, personally, with his agent … whatever that may be. Love Trent, love what he’s done for this franchise and this team.”
The Redskins signed veteran Donald Penn to a one-year contract in late July after Williams did not report to camp.